(HARUNA in 1934 after major reconstruction-colorized by Irootoko, Jr)

IJN Battleship HARUNA:
Tabular Record of Movement

© 2000-2016 Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Lars Ahlberg
Revision 21

20 March 1908:
Newcastle-on-Tyne, England. The 17,250-ton Dreadnought armored cruiser HMS INVINCIBLE is completed at Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Ltd's shipyard and commissioned in the Royal Navy. INVINCIBLE mounts eight 12-inch (305-mm) guns (4x2) and can make 26 knots. Britain's new capital ships render all of the Imperial Japanese Navy's warships, both those operational and those under design, obsolete.

1910: Japanese Naval Expansion Bill:
Tokyo. The Diet passes and funds the 1911 Naval Emergency Expansion bill received from the cabinet. The bill authorizes the design and construction of a battleship and four armored cruisers. The battleship is FUSO. HARUNA is the third of the four high-speed armored cruisers, after KONGO and HIEI .

16 March 1912:
Kobe. Battlecruiser HARUNA is laid down at Kawasaki's ship yard. HARUNA will be built based on plans for KONGO designed by Sir George Thurston of the British shipbuilding firm of Vickers-Armstrong. Most of the parts used in her construction are manufactured in Japan.

14 December 1913:
Kobe. Launched and named HARUNA.

15 December 1913:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Funakoshi Kajishiro (16)(former CO of IKOMA) is appointed the acting Chief Equipping Officer of HARUNA.

3 August 1914: World War I Begins:
Germany declares war on France and invades Belgium. Britain then declares war on Germany and Austria.

15 August 1914:
Tokyo. The Japanese Prime Minister, Count Okuma Shigenobu, issues an ultimatum to Kaiser Wilhelm. Okuma demands that German naval vessels at Kiaochow (Tsingtao), China either leave or surrender and that Germany allow the destruction of their fortifications there. He further demands that Germany’s colonial possessions in China and their islands in the Pacific be turned over to Japan.

23 August 1914:
Berlin. The Germans do not respond.

Tokyo. Japan formally declares war on the German Empire. Thereafter, the IJN occupies the former German colonies (purchased from Spain by Germany) in the Carolines, Palau, Marianas and the Marshall Islands.

7 November 1914:
Tsingtao, China. After a siege of over two months, the outnumbered German garrison surrenders the colony and its harbor to the Japanese.

15 December 1914:
Kôbe. Captain (later Vice Admiral) Funakoshi Kajishiro (former CO of IKOMA) is posted as the Equipping Officer for HARUNA.

19 April 1915:
Kôbe. HARUNA is completed and commissioned in the IJN. Captain Funakoshi is her first Commanding Officer.

13 December 1915:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Nunome Mitsuzo (15)(former CO of SATSUMA) is appointed CO. Attached to BatDiv 3, Second Fleet.

February 1916:
Refit at Yokosuka. HARUNA is fitted with an experimental main battery director, later desingated as Type 13.

9 April 1916:
Departs Sasebo and operates off China districts.

19 April 1916:
Arrives at Sasebo.

10 August-2 November 1916:
Refit at Yokosuka to act as the Imperial inspection vessel.

8 November 1916:
Departs Kôbe with HIEI.

1 December 1916:
Captain (later Admiral) Hyakutake Saburo (19)(former former CEO of ISE) is appointed the CO.

1 April 1917:
Departs Sasebo and operates off China districts.

11 April 1917:
Arrives at Sasebo.

15 September 1917:
Captain (later Admiral) Taniguchi Naomi (former ADC to Fleet Admiral, Count, Togo Heihachiro) assumes command.

1 December 1917:
Placed in second reserve at Yokosuka for the forebridge rebuild and AA refit. Captain/Count (later Rear Admiral) Sano Tsuneha (18)(former ADC to Prince Yamashina Kikumaro) is appointed CO.

8 January 1918:
The President of the United States, Woodrow Wilson, proposes “Fourteen Points” for the end of the war to the Congress that are later communicated to the warring powers.

11 November 1918: Armistice:
The Armistice, based on Wilson’s Fourteen Points, is signed and takes effect at 1100. World War I is over.

1 December 1918:
Attached to BatDiv 3, Second Fleet.

25 March 1919:
Departs Shibushi Bay for operations off the northern China coast.

9 April 1919:
Arrives at Sasebo.

28 June 1919: The Treaty of Versailles:
After the defeat of Germany, Japan is given a mandate over the ex-German colonies in the Pacific with the exception of Tsingtao.

20 December 1917:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Oishi Shôkichi (former CO of SUWO) assumes command.

20 November 1919:
Captain (later Admiral) Taniguchi Naomi (former ADC to Fleet Admiral, Count, Togo Heihachiro)(24) is appointed CO.

29 August 1920:
Departs Tateyama and operates off the coast of the Soviet Union.

7 September 1920:
Arrives at Otaru.

12 September 1920:
Off Cape Motsuta, Hokkaido. HARUNA is engaged in gunnery practice. Suddenly, a breech explosion tears the starboard 14-inch gun barrel in half and blows off the armored roof of the No. 1 turret. Seven men in the turret are killed and 8 wounded. Later, an investigation concludes that during firing a faulty fuse ignited the gunpowder bags in the breech and caused the shell to go off in the barrel. Later, the turret is repaired at Yokosuka. The elevation of her 14-inch guns is increased from 25 to 33 degrees.

20 November 1920:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Omi Heishiro (23)(former CO of OKINOSHIMA) is appointed the CO. Captain Oishi becomes CO of FUSO.

1 December 1920:
Placed in reserve.

20 November 1921:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Ueda Kichiji (former CO of ASAHI) assumes command.

6 February 1922: The Washington Treaty:
Washington, DC. Japan, United States, Britain, France and Italy agree to limit the displacement and main armament of their capital ships, aircraft carriers and cruisers and to limit the total tonnage and age of their capital ships and carriers. Battleships and aircraft carriers are set at a ratio of 5:5:3 for the navies of Great Britain, the United States and Japan. Japan's Plenipotentiary at the conference is her Minister of the Navy, Admiral (later Fleet Admiral/Prime Minister), the Baron, Kato Tomosaburo.

1 July 1922:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Koyama Takeshi (26)(former CO of YAMASHIRO) is appointed CO.

8 September 1922:
Capt Koyama Takeshi assumes joint command of MIKASA.

10 November 1922:
10 Nov ’22: (replace) Captain (later Rear Admiral) Mori Hatsuji (27)(former CO of NISSHIN) is appointed CO of ASAHI and HARUNA, still undergoing repairs.

1 December 1922:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Koizumi Chikaharu (27)(former CO of KURAMA) is appointed CO.

1 December 1923:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Hitsuda Kesaichi (29)(former CO of NISSHIN) is appointed CO.

8 February 1924:
Yokosuka Navy Yard. The start of the powerplant upgrade, preceding the first reconstruction. During the rebuild all of HARUNA's 36 Yarrow boilers are replaced with 16 Kampon RO-Go type boilers. The number of funnels is reduced from three to two, deleting the fore funnel. As a result of the changes in the boiler room layout, two remaining funnels are now more widely spaced than in other vessels of that class.

15 April 1924:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Ugawa Wataru (27) (former CO of YAKUMO) ’is appointed CO.

1 September 1924:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Tamura Hiroaki (28) (former CO of MIKASA) ’is appointed CO.

1 December 1924:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Kondo Naokata (30)(former CEO of HAYATOMO) is appointed CO.

15 April 1925:
Capt Kondo assumes joint command of YAKUMO.

10 July 1925:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Ishikawa Kiyoshi (30)(former CO of IWATE) is appointed CO of YAKUMO (until 1 December), simultaneously assuming the command of HARUNA on paper.

1 March 1924-31 July 1928: First Reconstruction:
Yokosuka Navy Yard. The thickness of the horizontal armor over the magazines and machinery spaces is increased. Anti-torpedo bulges are added. The torpedo nets and four torpedo tubes are removed. The foremast and the aft control tower are rebuilt. A derrick boom is rigged to the superstructure starboard aft for one Yokosho E1Y3 Type 14 and one Nakajima E2N1 Type 15 floatplane. An aircraft handling deck is fitted between the aft turrets (Nos. 3 and 4). [2]

1 December 1926:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Mashiko Rokuya (former CO of CHOGEI) is appointed the CO of YAMASHIRO (until 1 Mar 1927), simultaneously assuming the command of HARUNA on paper.

1 December 1927:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Torin Iwajiro (31)(former gunnery officer of ISE) is appointed CO of YAMASHIRO, simultaneously assuming the command of HARUNA on paper.

28 December 1927:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Isumi Kizo (31)(former ADC to Admiral (later Fleet Admiral) Prince Hiroyasu Fushimi) ’is appointed CO.

31 July 1928:
Yokosuka. The reconstruction is completed.

4 December 1928:
Yokohama. HARUNA is assigned as the Emperor's special ship.

10 December 1928:
Attached to BatDiv 4, Second Fleet, as the flagship of the C-in-C, Second Fleet, Vice Admiral Mineo Osumi. Captain (later Vice Admiral) Goto Akira (31)(former CO of KAKO) is appointed CO.

1 February 1929:
The Emperor Hirohito's (Showa) younger brother Lt (j.g.) (later Captain) Prince Nobuhito Takamatsu, a graduate of the Etajima Naval Academy, takes up duty aboard HARUNA.

28 March 1929:
Departs Kure and operates off Chefoo, China.

3 April 1929:
Arrives at Lushun (Port Arthur), China.

30 November 1929:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Arichi Jugoro (33)(former CO of NATORI) is appointed CO. Reassigned to BatDiv 1, First Fleet.

28 March 1930:
Departs Sasebo and operates off Tsingtao, China.

3 April 1930:
Arrives at Dairen, China.

22 April 1930: The London Treaty:
London. The Treaty for the Limitation and Reduction of Naval Armament is signed by Japan, Great Britain and the United States. It is an extension of the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922. The signatories agree not to build new capital ships until 1937. A number of existing capital ships are to be scrapped.

1 December 1930:
Placed in reserve.

10 February 1931:
Captain, the Baron (later Rear Admiral) Sonoda Minoru (34)(former CO of KITAKAMI) is appointed CO.

September 1931: The Manchurian Incident:
Manchuria. Japan claims Chinese soldiers sabotaged the Japanese-controlled Manchurian railway. The Japanese Kwantung army attacks the Chinese Army and soon conquer all of Manchuria. They set up the puppet state of Manchukuo headed by the former Emperor of China, Henry Pu-Yi. China appeals to the League of Nations. The League sends V. A. G. R. Bulwer-Lytton, 2nd Earl of Lytton, to Manchuria to lead a Commission to investigate.

1 October 1931:
Modifications are completed.

8 November 1931:
Departs Yokosuka to become the Emperor's ship during the visit to the Kumamoto prefecture.

1 December 1931:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Sumiyama Tokutaro (34) (former ADC to then Crown Prince (later Emperor) Hirohito) is appointed CO

22 May 1932:
Yokosuka Navy Yard. AA suite upgrade and catapult installation. The 8 cm/40 3rd Year Type AA guns and 7.7 mm Type 92 machine guns are replaced by eight 12.7-cm/40 Type 89 AA guns (4 x 2) and four 40-mm Vickers AA guns (2 x 2). Two Type 91 HA directors are added to lattice towers amidships.The aircraft handling deck is extended to accommodate a Kure Type No. 2 Model 3 catapult installed on the port side aft of No. 3 turret. One E1Y3 and two Nakajima E2N Type 15 floatplanes are embarked.

15 November 1932:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Katagiri Eikichi (34) (former CO of AOBA) is appointed the CO.

25 February 1933:
Geneva, Switzerland. The League of Nations. The Lytton Commission reports that Japan violated Chinese sovereignty and should return Manchuria to China. At a Special Assembly, 40 nations vote that Japan should withdraw. Only Japan votes against it. Instead of returning Manchuria, Japan instructs its representative Yosuke Matsuoka (later Foreign Minister), to walk out of the League. After withdrawing from the League, Japan also decides that she will no longer abide by restrictions such as the Washington of 1922 and the London Treaty of 1930 that impose limitations on the number and size of her warships.

5 April-May 1933:
Refit at Kure. Preceding the second reconstruction, the elevation of the main battery is increased from 33 to 43 degrees. The elevation of the secondary battery is increased from 15 to 30 degrees.

20 May 1933:
Reassigned to BatDiv 1, First Fleet.

29 June 1933:
Departs Sasebo and operates off the Maan Islands, China.

1 August 1933: Second Reconstruction:
Kure. Unfettered by the former Washington Treaty's restrictions, HARUNA is reconstructed to be capable of escorting the IJN's fleet carriers. Her stern is lengthened by 7.47 m (24.5 ft). Her forebridge is rebuilt in a 'pagoda'- style. All boilers are replaced with 11 oil-firing Kampon boilers and she receives new geared turbines. Her speed is increased to 30 knots. The 40-mm Vickers AA guns are landed. A centerline Kure Type No. 2 Model 3 Mk. 1 catapult and a collapsibe derrick are installed. HARUNA is reequipped with two Nakajima E4N2 Type 90 No. 2 Model 2 and one Kawanishi E7K1 Type 94 ("Alf") floatplanes.

25 August 1933:
Participates in Naval Review off Yokohama with KONGO and HIEI.

15 November 1933:
Placed in reserve. Captain (later Vice Admiral) Mito Shunzo (former CO of KAKO) assumes command.

1 June 1934:
HARUNA is transferred from the Yokosuka Naval District to the Sasebo Naval District.

30 September 1934:
The Second Reconstruction is officially completed.

15 November 1934:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Mito Shunzo (36)(former CO of KAKO) is appointed the CO. Placed in third reserve at Yokosuka.

29 March 1935:
Departs Sasebo for her first post-modernization cruise to Saddle Islands area in company of the two FUSO class battleships, two DesRons and two SubRons, returning to Terajima Strait on 4 April.

16 April 1935:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Iwashita Yasutarô (37) (former CO of JINTSU) is appointed CO.

28 October 1935:
Captain (later Vice Admiral/CINC, CF) Ozawa Jisaburo (37) (former CO of MAYA) is appointed CO.

13 April 1936:
Departs Sasebo and operates off Tsingtao, China.

22 April 1936:
Arrives at Sasebo.

1 June 1936:
Attached to BatDiv 3 of First Fleet.

4 August 1936:
Departs Keelung, Formosa, and operates off Amoy, China.

7 August 1936:
Arrives Makô.

1 December 1936:
Captain (Admiral, posthumously) Itô Seiichi (39)(former CO of ATAGO) is appointed CO.

27 March 1937:
Departs Sasebo and operates off Tsingtao, China.

6 April 1937:
Arrives at Sasebo.

7 July 1937: The Marco Polo Bridge (Sino-Japanese) Incident:
Lugouqiao, China. Japanese troops make night maneuvers at the bridge in which they fire blank cartridges. Chinese troops fire back, but do not cause injuries. At morning roll call, the Japanese discover a soldier missing. They assume the Chinese have captured him. The Japanese demand entry to Beijing on the excuse that they were looking for the missing soldier. Upon refusal, the Japanese shell the city and begin an undeclared war on China.

20 August 1937:
HARUNA operates with KIRISHIMA and light cruiser ISUZU, carrying elements of the IJAA 3rd Infantry Division.

24 August 1937:
Arrives at Sasebo.

15 September 1937:
Departs Sasebo and operates off the north China coast.

17 September 1937:
Arrives at Lushun (Port Arthur), China.

21 September 1937:
Departs and operates off north China coast.

1 November 1937-15 November 1938:
Additional refit at Sasebo. Two foremost casemate guns are landed. The bow stem line and the cutwater are reshaped. Twenty 25-mm Type 96 AA guns (10 x 2) and four Type 95 HA directors are installed. A new Kure Type No. 2 Mod. 5 catapult is installed for a Kawanishi E7K1 Type 94 ("Alf") and two Nakajima E8N1 Type 95 ("Dave") floatplanes. The main topmast is shortened and its stays rearranged.

15 November 1937:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Oshima Kenshiro (39) (former CO of MAYA) is appointed CO.

1 December 1937:
Placed in first reserve at Sasebo.

9 March 1938:
Following the death of Capt Oshima, Captain (later Rear Admiral) Mizuno Junichi (37)(current CO of AKAGI) assumes joint command of HARUNA.

15 July 1938:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Fujita Risaburo (40) (former Attache to Great Britain) is appointed CO.

18 May 1939:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Nishimura Shoji (39) (former CO of KUMANO) is appointed CO.

15 November 1939:
Attached to BatDiv 3, First Fleet.

26 March 1940:
Departs Sasebo and operates off the south sea districts.

2 April 1940:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa.

1 November 1940:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Kimura Susumu (40) (former CO of MIKUMA) is appointed CO.

15 November 1940:
Sasebo Navy Yard. Designated as special reserve vessel to undergo the first stage of Expedition Preparations. The main gun barrels are replaced. A modernized counterflooding system is installed.

10 April 1941:
Attached to BatDiv 3, First Fleet.

20 August 1941:
Captain (later Vice Admiral) Takama Tamotsu (41)(former CO of NACHI) is appointed CO.

HARUNA is assigned to Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Takasu Shiro's (former CO of ISUZU) First Fleet in Vice Admiral Mikawa Gunichi's (former CO of KIRISHIMA) BatDiv 3 at Hashirajima with KONGO, HIEI and KIRISHIMA.

29 November 1941:
BatDiv 3's section 2, HARUNA and KONGO, is attached to Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Kondo Nobutake's (former CO of KONGO) Second Fleet, Southern (Malay) Force's Main Body: BatDiv 3/2, CruDiv 4's ATAGO, TAKAO and MAYA and eight destroyers. The Main Body departs Hashirajima for Mako, Pescadores.

2 December 1941:
The Main Body arrives at Mako.

4 December 1941:
The Main Body departs Mako for Indochina (Vietnam) to provide distant support for the invasion forces.

8 December 1941: The Invasions of Malaya and the Philippines:
CruDiv 4's MAYA detaches from the Main Body to support the landings at Appari and Vigan in the Philippines.

9 December 1941: The Pursuit of the Royal Navy's "Force Z":
The Main Body is SE of Indochina near Poulo Condore Island.

At 1415, LtCdr Harada Tamae's
submarine I-65 reports sighting a British force steaming NNW at 14 knots. This is Admiral Sir Tom S. V. Phillips who sorties from Singapore to find and attack the Malaya invasion transports with his Force Z: Captain J. C. Leach's new battleship HMS PRINCE OF WALES, Captain (later Vice Admiral) W. G. Tennant's old battlecruiser HMS REPULSE, destroyers HMS ELECTRA, EXPRESS, TENEDOS and Australian destroyer HMAS VAMPIRE. The Main Body sorties south for a night attack against Force Z, but no contact is made.

10 December 1941:
At dawn, Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Kurita Takeo's (former CO of KONGO) CruDiv 7's KUMANO, MOGAMI, MIKUMA and SUZUYA with DesRon 3's light cruiser SENDAI and four destroyers join the Main Body. Kondo also orders Vice Admiral Ozawa Jisaburo (former CO of HARUNA) to join in the hunt with cruiser CHOKAI.

That afternoon, the Main Body and all other ships depart the search area after receiving reports that both British capital ships were sunk off Kuantan, Malaya. Force Z was overwhelmed by 94 torpedo-bombers (Type 96 Mitsubishi G3M2 "Nells" and Type 1 G4M1 "Bettys") of the Genzan, Kanoya and Mihoro Kokutais of Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Matsunaga Sadaichi's (former CO of ISUZU) 22nd Air Flotilla based at Saigon and Thudamot in French Indochina. 840 British seamen are lost including Admiral Phillips.[2]

11 December 1941:
The Main Body arrives at Camranh Bay, Indochina.

14 December 1941:
The Main Body departs Camranh to cover the Second Malaya Convoy, NE of Natuna Besar Island.

17 December 1941:
The Main Body returns to Camranh.

18 December 1941:
The Main Body departs Camranh to cover the invasion landings at Lingayen Gulf, Philippines.

20 December 1941:
The Main Body arrives at a point 300 miles W of Luzon in the vicinity of the Macclesfield Bank.

20-23 December 1941:
The Main Body lies off the coast of Luzon.

23 December 1941:
Arrives at Makung (Mako), Pescadores.

11 January 1942:
The Main Body arrives at Mako.

14 January 1942:
The Main Body departs Mako for the Palau Islands in the Carolines.

18 January 1942:
The Main Body arrives at Palau. Provides distant cover for the Dutch East Indies invasion forces.

Rear Admiral (Vice Admiral, posthumously) Yamaguchi Tamon's (former CO of ISE) CarDiv 2's HIRYU and SORYU also arrive at Palau from Kure.

21-25 January 1942:
The Main Body splits into two groups to provide distant support of air attacks on Ambon Island. HARUNA, CarDiv 2, CruDiv 4's MAYA and four destroyers operate out of Palau to the east of Mindanao, the Philippines. KONGO, CruDiv 4's ATAGO and TAKAO and four destroyers operate south of Palau.

18 February 1942:
Bat Div 3 departs Palau for Staring (Teluk) Bay, near Kendari, Celebes (now Sulwasei).

21 February 1942:
BatDiv 3 arrives at Staring Bay. Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Kondo Nobutake (former CO of KONGO) CruDiv 4's ATAGO, MAYA and TAKAO and six destroyers also arrive and refuel. Vice Admiral (Admiral, posthumously) Nagumo Chuichi's (former CO of YAMASHIRO) First Air Fleet Striking Force ("Kido Butai") CarDiv 1's AKAGI and KAGA, CarDiv 2's HIRYU and SORYU and CruDiv 8's CHIKUMA and TONE, DesRon 1's light cruiser ABUKUMA with DesDiv 17's URAKAZE, ISOKAZE, TANIKAZE and HAMAKAZE and DesDiv 18's KASUMI, SHIRANUHI and ARIAKE arrives from their stike on Darwin, Australia and refuels.

25 February 1942: Operation "J" - The Invasion of the Netherlands East Indies:
The Main Body departs Staring Bay following the Carrier Striking Force, CruDiv 8, DesRon 1 and six tankers. The Main Body supports air attacks on Java.

1 March 1942:
Banda Sea. The Main Body is enroute to Christmas Island (190 miles S of Java) via the Ombai Strait off Timor.

7 March 1942:
BatDiv 3/2 bombards Christmas Island with DesDiv 17's URAKAZE, HAMAKAZE, ISOKAZE and TANIKAZE. HARUNA fires three 14-inch and fourteen 6-inch shells.

9 March 1942:
After the surrender of the Dutch East Indies, the BatDiv 3/2 group returns to Staring Bay, Celebes.

10-25 March 1942:
At Staring Bay. BatDiv 3's HARUNA, HIEI, KONGO and KIRISHIMA refuel. After more than three months of continuous operations, the crews are allowed some rest and relaxation.

26 March 1942: Operation "C" - The Raids in the Indian Ocean:
Vice Admiral (Admiral, posthumously) Nagumo Chuichi's Carrier Striking Force sorties from Staring Bay via Timor Sea into the Indian Ocean with CarDiv 1's AKAGI, CarDiv 2’s SORYU and HIRYU, CarDiv 5's SHOKAKU and ZUIKAKU, BatDiv 3's KONGO, HIEI, HARUNA HEI and KIRISHIMA, CruDiv 8's TONE and CHIKUMA, DesDiv 17's URAKAZE, ISOKAZE, TANIKAZE and HAMAKAZE, DesDiv 18's KASUMI, SHIRANUHI, ARARE and KAGERO, DesDiv 4's MAIKAZE and HAGIKAZE, CarDiv 5's AKIGUMO and fleet oiler SHINKOKU MARU.

31 March 1942:
Auxiliary tankers KYOKUTO MARU, KENYO MARU and NIPPON MARU join Nagumo's Force.

1 April 1942:
Meanwhile, at 1100, Vice Admiral Ozawa Jisaburo's (former CO of HARUNA) Second Expeditionary Fleet, Malaya Force departs Mergui and steams into the Bay of Bengal to attack merchant shipping with CruDiv 4's CHOKAI (F) and CruDiv 7 's SUZUYA, KUMANO, MIKUMA and MOGAMI, light cruiser YURA and destroyers FUBUKI, SHIRAYUKI, HATSUYUKI and MURAKUMA, which are replaced on 3 April by AYANAMI, YUGIRI, ASAGIRI and SHIOKAZE. YURA and CHOKAI support CarDiv 4's light carrier RYUJO.

2 April 1942:
After refueling Nagumo's Carrier Striking Force, SHINKOKU MARU, KYOKUTO MARU, KENYO MARU and NIPPON MARU are detached.

4 April 1942:
350 nms S of Ceylon. About 1600, the carrier Striking Force is located by Consolidated PBY "Catalina" flying boat QL-A of 413 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) flown by squadron leader Squadron Leader Leonard Birchall, out of Koggala. Birchall manages to radio in the position of the Japanese fleet and alert Colombo about the impending attack before his Catalina is shot down by six A6M2 Zeke fighters from carrier HIRYU. Birchall is one of the six survivors of the crew of nine picked up by ISOKAZE.

5 April 1942, Easter Sunday: The Attack on the British naval base at Colombo:
At 0730, 127 aircraft from the Striking Force (53 Nakajima B5N2 “Kate” dive-bombers [18 from SORYU, 18 from HIRYU and 17 from AKAGI], 38 Aichi D3A1 “Val” torpedo-bombers [19 each from SHOKAKU and ZUIKAKU] and 36 Mitsubishi A6M “Zeke” fighters (9 each from AKAGI, SORYU, HIRYU and ZUIKAKU) of the "Kido Butai's" aircraft, led by Cdr (later Captain) Fuchida Mitsuo (of Pearl Harbor), attack the British naval base at Colombo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).

The planes damage the base's facilities, destroy at least 26 aircraft (6 Fairey "Swordfish", 4 Fairey "Fulmars" and at least 16 Hawker "Hurricanes") and sink destroyer HMS TENEDOS undergoing refit, armed merchant cruiser HMS HECTOR and 5834-ton Norwegian tanker SOLI. The planes also damage submarine tender HMS LUCIA, 5,943-ton British freighter BENLEDI and 5,950-ton British freighter CLAN MUROCH. 81 civilians and 56 RN personnel are killed at Colombo (TENEDOS 33, HECTOR 4, LUCIA 2, FAA aircrew and ground crew 12.

A Kawanishi E7K "Alf" three-seat float biplane from cruiser TONE finds Vice Admiral (later Admiral of the Fleet Sir) James Somerville's (former CO of HMS NORFOLK) British Eastern Fleet's cruisers HMS CORNWALL and HMS DORSETSHIRE at sea - without air cover. Between 1338-1400, 53 D3A Val dive-bombers (17 from AKAGI, 18 from HIRYU and 18 from SORYU, led by LtCdr Egusa Takashige (SORYU’s Air Group Commander), sink both ships. 424 RN personnel are killed (DORSETSHIRE 234, CORNWALL 190). After the attack, the Striking Force withdraws to the SE and searches unsuccessfully for the rest of Somerville's fleet.

Meanwhile, during the afternoon aircraft from RYUJO sink the 5,082-ton British cargo vessel HARPASA and damage two other merchantmen, the 7,823-ton British ship DARDANUS and 4,839-ton US-built Greek ship POINT CLEAR. At 2030, Ozawa's Mobile Force separates into three groups to attack merchant shipping in the Bay of Bengal. CruDiv 7/1's KUMANO and SUZUYA, under Rear Admiral Kurita, form the Northern Group with destroyer SHIRAKUMO. Carrier RYUJO, CHOKAI, SubRon 5's light cruiser YURA, Des Div 20's YUGIRI and ASAGIRI form the Center Group under Admiral Ozawa. MOGAMI, MIKUMA and destroyer AMAGIRI form the Southern Group.

(Tracks of Nagumo and Ozawa's Forces)

6 April 1942:
Bay of Bengal. At about 0600, the three ships of Ozawa’s Northern Group attack and sink the 5,381-ton Norwegian tanker ELSA. After 0730, KUMANO and SUZUYA and destroyer SHIRAKUMO attack a six-ship convoy and sink 4,986-ton American Export Line’s EXMOOR (ex-CITY OF ST. JOSEPH), 9,066-ton British freighter MALDA, 7,718-ton British freighter AUTOCLYCUS and 2,441-ton British freighter SHINKUANG at 19N, 86E. Ozawa's cruisers also sink 6,622-ton British freighter INDORA and Captain J. H. Gregory’s British India Line’s 4,921-ton cargo ship SILKSWORTH. About 50 of SILKSWORTH's mostly Chinese crewmen survive.

Temporarily detached from the rest of Ozawa’s Center Group, YURA and YUGIRI sink 1,279-ton Dutch merchant BATAVIA en route from Calcutta to Karachi. YURA and YUGIRI also sink 1,279-ton Dutch freighter BANJOEWANGI and 3,471-ton British steamer TAKSANG.

The rest of the Center Group, RYUJO, CHOKAI and ASAGIRI, sink five ships:
5,491-ton American freighter BIENVILLE is bombed by RYUJO's aircraft. She is finished off by gunfire from CHOKAI, and reportedly also from RYUJO, and then by a torpedo from CHOKAI.
6,426-ton British cargo ship GANGES is attacked by one of CHOKAI’s floatplanes and two of RYUJO’s aircraft, and is then sunk by gunfire from the surface ships, including gunfire from RYUJO.
2,646-ton British ship SINKIANG is attacked by aircraft and then likewise sunk by gunfire.
5,686-ton American freighter SELMA CITY is bombed by CHOKAI’s floatplanes. She is also attacked and hit by two aircraft from RYUJO, but by then is already sinking and abandoned.
2,073-ton Dutch freighter VAN DER CAPELLEN is bombed and damaged by RYUJO's aircraft and sinks two days later.

That same day, 5,268-ton British freighter ANGLO-CANADIAN is attacked by five aircraft from RYUJO, including two armed with torpedoes, and score one hit, a bomb which does not explode but which starts a fire. Also that day, RYUJO launches strikes against Cocanada and Vizagapatam. 3,827-ton British merchant MARION MOLLER is damaged at Vizagapatam.

Ozawa’s Southern Group sinks four ships. They first encounter disabled DARDANUS, under tow by the 5,281-ton British ship GANDARA. The three Japanese ships promptly open fire on the two merchantmen, which are finished off with torpedoes from AMAGIRI. Two Norwegian vessels are then sunk, 4,434-ton DAGFRED and 1,515-ton HERMOD.

In all Ozawa's commerce raiding detachment sinks twenty ships of about 93,247 tons during their brief foray in the Bay of Bengal.

9 April 1942: The Attack on the British naval base at Trincomalee:
At 0600, Nagumo's Striking Force launches 132 aircraft led by Cdr Fuchida to attack the British naval base at Trincomalee, Ceylon (91 B5N2 Kate dive-bombers [18 from AKAGI, 18 from SORYU and 18 from HIRYU, 19 from SHOKAKU and 18 from ZUIKAKU] and 41 A6M2 Zeke fighters [6 from AKAGI, 9 from SORYU, 6 from HIRYU, 10 from SHOKAKU and 10 from ZUIKAKU]).

The Japanese find the harbor almost empty of warships, but sink 9,066-ton British merchant SAGAING and a "Walrus" amphibian and three crated Fairey “Albacore” aircraft she was carrying, and damage old 15-inch monitor HMS EREBUS. Non-operational Dutch light cruiser SUMATRA is also hit, but the 800 kg bomb does not explode. Outside the harbor, southbound 4,784-ton Greek MARIONGA D. THERMIOTIS is damaged by strafing and seven men are wounded.

HARUNA launches an E8N2 “Dave” floatplane. At 0755, it spots an enemy carrier 65 miles south of the base. Between 0843 and 0853, the Striking Force launches 85 D3A Vals, (18 from SORYU, 18 from HIRYU and 18 from SHOKAKU, 17 from AKAGI and 14 from ZUIKAKU), escorted by 9 A6M Zekes (3 each from AKAGI, SORYU, HIRYU) which sink old light carrier HMS HERMES. 306 RN personnel are KIA, but hospital ship HMHS VITA, en route from Trincomalee to Colombo, arrives and picks up over 600 survivors.

Other sailors are rescued by local craft or swim to shore. Nagumo's aircraft also find and sink Australian destroyer HMAS VAMPIRE, 8 KIA, corvette HMS HOLLYHOCK, 53 KIA, oilers ATHELSTANE and BRITISH SERGEANT and Norwegian merchant ship NORVIKEN.

During the day, nine of the Royal Air Force’s No. 11 Squadron’s Bristol "Blenheim" bombers attack KONGO, but score no hits and lose five four of their number to Nagumo's Combat Air Patrol "Zekes" and another is lost during the return flight when they encounter three Zekes from HIRYU returning from the attack on HERMES. BatDiv3 and the Striking Force continue heading SE.

10 April 1942:
About midnight, the fleet changes course to the NE. During the next 36 hours, BatDiv 3 and the Striking Force gradually bear southwards again and pass through the Andaman Sea entering the Straits of Malacca.

13 April 1942:
By nightfall, the fleet passes Singapore and enters the South China Sea, bound for Japan.

15 April 1942:
Oiler KOKUYO MARU refuels HARUNA with 1520 tons.

23 April 1942:
The fleet arrives at Hashirajima.

1 May 1942:
Captain Takama is promoted to Rear Admiral.

19 May 1942:
BatDiv 3 departs Hashirajima with the First and Third Fleets. The fleets conduct two-day maneuvers at sea.

23 May 1942:
BatDiv 3 returns to Hashirajima.

29 May 1942: Operation "MI" - The Battle of Midway:
The Support Group's BatDiv 3, Section 2's HARUNA and KIRISHIMA depart Hashirajima for Midway with Vice Admiral Nagumo's First Mobile Force, Carrier Strike Force: CarDiv 1's AKAGI and KAGA, CarDiv 2's HIRYU and SORYU, CruDiv 8's TONE and CHIKUMA, DesRon 10's light cruiser NAGARA and 11 destroyers.

4 June 1942:
At 0430, HARUNA catapults a "Dave" floatplane to search for American carriers northeast of the Striking Force. Longer-range search planes are also launched from the AKAGI and the KAGA and later by CHIKUMA and TONE. At 0817, HARUNA and KIRISHIMA are attacked by 11 Midway-based obsolete Marine SB2U-3 "Vindicator" dive-bombers, but they only score near-misses. When KAGA is set afire, HARUNA briefly closes to assist.

At 1020, two SBDs from YORKTOWN approach HARUNA from her starboard beam and score two very near misses. The battleship disappears behind the waterspouts and some lookouts on nearby vessels report her as lost. At 1649, HARUNA is attacked unsuccessfully by four level-bombers. At 1707, HARUNA is attacked unsuccessfully by two SBD-3 "Dauntless" dive-bombers of VB-3 from USS YORKTOWN (CV-5). At 1826, HARUNA comes under attack by eight B-17Es "Flying Fortress" of the 431st Bomb Group, but they fail to score a hit.

5 June 1942:
From 1508 to 1545 (JST), DesDiv 17's TANIKAZE is attacked by three waves of SBDs, about 50 aircraft total. Near-misses cause an explosion in her after turret. She claims four SBDs shot down. At about 1600, HARUNA is attacked by SBDs not far from where TANIKAZE was attacked. HARUNA suffers but minor damage. That night, after the Striking Force joins the Main Body, DesRon 10's destroyers come alongside HARUNA.

14 June 1942:
Returns to Hashirajima.

20 June 1942:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Ishii Kazuyuki (43)(former CO of OBB target ship SETTSU) is appointed the CO.

14 July 1942:
HARUNA is assigned to the Second Fleet. Vice Admiral Kurita Takeo (former CO of KONGO) assumes command of the resized BatDiv 3's KONGO (F) and HARUNA from Vice Admiral Mikawa who is reassigned as Commander of the Eighth Fleet at Rabaul. HIEI and KIRISHIMA are reassigned to the new BatDiv 11. Her floatplane complement is now three E8N2s.

25 July-29 August 1942:
Refit and repairs at Kure. According to some sources, a new Type 94 main gun director was installed at that time.

6-10 September 1942:
Bat Div 3 departs Kure for Truk with DesDiv 31's MAKINAMI and DesDiv 32's NAGANAMI.

10 September 1942:
Bat Div 3 sorties from Truk with Vice Admiral Kondo's Second Fleet: CruDiv 4's ATAGO, TAKAO and MAYA, CruDiv 5's HAGURO and MYOKO and DesRon 2. The Second Fleet accompanies Vice Admiral (Admiral, posthumously) Nagumo Chuichi's (former CO of YAMASHIRO) Third Fleet:CarDiv 1's SHOKAKU, ZUIKAKU and ZUIHO, BatDiv 11's HIEI and KIRISHIMA, CruDiv 7's KUMANO and SUZUYA, CruDiv 8's CHIKUMA, DesRon 10's light cruiser NAGARA and 11 destroyers to an area north of the Solomon Islands.

15-17 September 1942:
At sea. The fleets refuel destroyers.

18-20 September 1942:
The Second and Third Fleets sortie towards the Solomons.

20 September 1942:
The fleets are ordered to return to Truk.

23 September 1942:
The fleets arrive at Truk. Bat Div 3 provides distant support for operations in the Solomon Islands.

11 October 1942:
Kurita's Bat Div 3 departs Truk for Guadalcanal with the Second and Third Fleets.

12 October 1942:
Bat Div 3 detaches from Kondo and Nagumo's fleets with Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Tanaka Raizo's (former CO of KONGO) DesRon 2's light cruiser ISUZU and three destroyers. Six destroyers from Shortland join Kurita's force. All head towards the Solomon Islands.

13 October 1942:
Beginning at 0133, BatDiv 3 bombards Henderson Field, Guadalcanal. HARUNA and KONGO fire 918 (483 and 435 respectively) 35.6 cm. (14-in.) shells including thousand pound Type 3 HE shells originally designed as anti-aircraft rounds. Each Type 3 round contains 470 individual incendiary submunitions. After the HE shells are expended, BatDiv 3 continues the bombardment with less effective AP shells. Kurita's battleships destroy more than 40 U.S. aircraft on the ground.

ISUZU also fires on Marine batteries on Tulagi Island. LtCdr Alan Montgomery's Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3's PT-38, PT-46, PT-48 and PT-60 attack Kurita's destroyer screen, but are driven off by destroyer NAGANAMI and no hits are scored. At 0230, BatDiv 3 retires up the "Slot" at 29 knots.

17-18 October 1942:
BatDiv 3 and DesDiv 15's KAGERO and OYASHIO refuel at sea with Kondo's Advance Force.

26 October 1942: The Battle of Santa Cruz:
HARUNA is attacked by a PBY "Catalina" flying boat, but not damaged.

30 October 1942:
BatDiv 3 returns to Truk.

9 November 1942:
BatDiv 3 departs Truk with task group: carrier JUNYO, cruiser TONE, DesRon 3's light cruiser SENDAI and five destroyers. BatDiv 3 supports air attacks launched at the USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) south of Guadalcanal, but JUNYO's aircraft fail to find ENTERPRISE.

13 November 1942: The First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal:
BatDiv 3, cruising near Ontong Java Atoll, provides distant support for Kondo's Emergency Bombardment Force against Henderson Field.

15 November 1942:
The Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal:
After the loss of BatDiv 11's KIRISHIMA off Savo Island, BatDiv 3 departs the area for Truk.

18 November 1942:
Arrives at Truk. Resumes battle training.

18 November 1942-30 January 1943:
At Truk.

30 January 1943: Operation "KE" – The Evacuation of Guadalcanal:
BatDiv 3 departs Truk with a task force of units of the Second and Third Fleet: carriers ZUIKAKU, ZUIHO and JUNYO, CruDiv 4's ATAGO and TAKAO, CruDiv 5's HAGURO and MYOKO, DesRon 4's light cruiser NAGARA, DesRon 10's light cruiser AGANO and destroyers. The task force steams north of the Solomons as a feint to cover the evacuation of Japanese forces from Guadalcanal by destroyers from Rabaul.

9 February 1943:
After the successful evacuation of 12,000 troops from Guadalcanal, the task force returns to Truk.

15 -20 February 1943:
BatDiv 3 departs Truk for Kure with seaplane carrier NISSHIN and DesDiv 27's SHIGURE.

25 February-1 April 1943:
Dry-docked at Sasebo. A Type 21 radar and Type 3 radar detectors are installed. The aircraft complement is changed to one Aichi E13A Type 0 and two Mitsubishi F1M Type 0s.

11 March - 1 April 1943:
HARUNA begins a refit at Kure. The pagoda forebridge is lowered by one level. The main gun barrels are replaced. Two secondary guns are landed. Two 25-mm triple mounts are installed. Most portholes and scuttles below the middle deck level are plated over. Concrete protection is added in the vicinity of the steering gear. The attackments for an emergency rudder are added to the starboard side aft. .

20 March 1943:
HARUNA, aircraft carriers SHOKAKU and RYUHO and unidentified destroyers are met by torpedo boat HATO, minelayers NATSUSHIMA and NUWAJIMA and patrol boat PB-46 and escorted to Okinoshima. Later that day, HARUNA arrives in the Inland Sea.

1 April 1943:
Bat Div 3 departs Kure for Truk. HARUNA and KONGO carry men of the Kure 7th Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF).

6 April 1943:
BatDiv 3 arrives at Truk. Disembarks SNLF troops.

1 May 1943:
Captain Ishii is promoted Rear Admiral.

17 May 1943:
Reassigned to the Attu Task Force. Bat Div 3's HARUNA and KONGO depart Truk for Yokosuka in response to the Attu invasion with BatDiv 1's MUSASHI, CarDiv 2's HIYO, CruDiv 8's TONE and CHIKUMA and DesDiv 24's UMIKAZE and DesDiv 27's ARIAKE and SHIGURE, DesDiv 61's HATSUZUKI and SUZUTSUKI. MUSASHI, with Admiral Koga aboard, also carries Admiral Yamamoto's ashes to Tokyo for a state funeral.

20 May 1943:
Alerted by Ultras, USS SAWFISH (SS-276) picks up the task force on radar is unable to attack.

22 May 1943:
USS TRIGGER (SS-237) sights the task force off Tokyo Bay, but is unable to attack. The task force arrives safely. Carriers ZUIKAKU, SHOKAKU and ZUIHO and light cruisers AGANO and OYODO join the task force at Yokosuka -Tokyo Bay. CruDiv 7's KUMANO, MOGAMI and SUZUYA also arrive from Tokuyama. Before this powerful force can depart for a counterattack against the Aleutians, Attu falls to U.S. forces.

May 1943:
Departs Yokosuka with the fleet on maneuvers.

14 June 1943:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Morishita Nobue (45)(former CO of OI) is appointed the CO, assuming command on the following day.

16 June 1943:
BatDiv 3 departs Yokosuka for Truk with a task group: light carrier RYUHO, escort carriers UNYO, CHUYO, CruDiv 7's KUMANO and SUZUYA and seven destroyers.

17 June 1943:
USS FLYING FISH (SS-229) sights the group making 20 knots, but the submarine is unable to attack.

21 June 1943:
USS SPEARFISH (SS-190) attacks one of the carriers in the group, but misses with four torpedoes. The task group arrives safely at Truk.

9 August 1943:
Vice Admiral Kurita assumes command of the Second Fleet. Kondo, promoted to Admiral on 23 April 1943, is reassigned as Commander-in-Chief of the China Area Fleet.

18 September 1943:
At Truk. BatDiv 3 remains at Truk as guardships with flagship MUSASHI and FUSO during the fleet's sortie to Brown Island, Eniwetok in response to raids on Tarawa, Makin and Abemama Atolls by Rear Admiral Charles A. Pownall's Task Force 15.

25 September 1943:
The fleet arrives back at Truk.

25 September-17 October 1943:
At Truk.

5-6 November 1943:
Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Alfred E. Montgomery's (former CO of RANGER (CV-4) Task Force 14's carriers USS ESSEX (CV-9), YORKTOWN (CV-10), LEXINGTON (CV-16), INDEPENDENCE (CV-22), BELLEAU WOOD (CVL-24) and COWPENS (CVL-25) launch raids on Wake and the Marshall Islands.

17 October 1943:
The Japanese intercept radio traffic that suggests the Americans are planning another raid on Wake Island. Admiral Koga sorties from Truk to intercept the enemy carriers with the fleet: BatDiv 1's YAMATO, MUSASHI, and NAGATO, BatDiv 2's FUSO, Bat Div 3's KONGO and HARUNA, CarDiv 1's SHOKAKU, ZUIKAKU and ZUIHO, CruDiv 4's ATAGO, TAKAO, MAYA and CHOKAI, CruDiv 7's SUZUYA and MOGAMI, CruDiv 8's CHIKUMA and TONE and light cruisers AGANO, NOSHIRO, OYODO and destroyers.

19-23 October 1943:
Arrives at Brown Atoll, Eniwetok.

23 October 1943:
Departs Brown and sorties to a position 250 miles south of Wake. Returns after no contact is made with enemy forces.

26 October 1943:
The fleet arrives back at Truk.

11 December 1943:
BatDiv 3 departs Truk for Sasebo with DesDiv 4's MAIKAZE and NOWAKI.

16 December 1943-26 February 1944 :
Arrives at Sasebo. Four secondary guns are landed. Four 12.7-cm AA guns (2 x 2) and twelve 25-mm AA guns (4 x 3) are installed. Two Type 0 hydrophones are installed.

25 January 1944:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Shigenaga Kazue (46)(former CO of CHIKUMA) is appointed CO.

1 March 1944:
Arrives at Tokuyama Naval Fuel Depot. Refuels.

2 March 1944:
Departs Tokuyama.

8 March 1944:
BatDiv 3 departs Sumoto for Lingga (south of Singapore) with carrier ZUIKAKU, cruiser MOGAMI, DesDiv 10's ASAGUMO, AKIGUMO and KAZAGUMO. BatDiv 3 carries the 103rd Air Defense Unit (241 men in all).

11 March 1944:
At 1210, the task group is sighted by USS LAPON (SS-260), but the submarine is unable to attack. ZUIKAKU and MOGAMI are detached and put into Seletar Naval Base, Singapore. The remainder of the task group continues south to Lingga.

14 March-11 May 1944:
Training at Lingga.

31 March 1944:
Departs Lingga for Singapore.

April -11 May 1944:
Departs Singapore for Lingga. Training.

11 May 1944:
Steams with Vice Admiral Ozawa Jisaburo's (former CO of HARUNA) Mobile Fleet from Lingga to the Tawi Tawi anchorage.

13 May-13 June 1944:
At Tawi Tawi with Vice Admiral Kurita's Force "C" Vanguard: BatDiv 1's YAMATO and MUSASHI, BatDiv 3, CarDiv 3's CHITOSE, CHIYODA and ZUIHO, CruDiv 4's ATAGO, TAKAO, MAYA and CHOKAI, CruDiv 7's KUMANO and SUZUYA, CruDiv 8's CHIKUMA and TONE, DesRon 2's light cruiser NOSHIRO and six destroyers.

13 June 1944: Operation "A-GO" - The Battle of the Philippine Sea:
In Tokyo, the CINC, Combined Fleet, Admiral Toyoda Soemu, (former CO of HYUGA), sends out a signal that activates the A-GO plan for the Defense of the Marianas.

Ozawa's Mobile Fleet departs Tawi Tawi (less Operation "Kon's" BatDiv 1, CruDiv 5) for Guimaras near Panay Island, Philippines. At 1000, LtCdr Marshall H. Austin's USS REDFIN (SS-272) sights and reports the departing Mobile Fleet.

14 June 1944:
At Guimaras. Refuels from oilers.

15 June 1944:
The Mobile Fleet departs Guimaras through the Visayan Sea. At 1622, the Mobile Fleet is sighted in the San Bernardino Strait by LtCdr Robert Risser's USS FLYING FISH (SS-229).

17 June 1944:
LtCdr (later Rear Admiral) Herman J. Kossler's USS CAVALLA (SS-244) sights the Mobile Fleet in the Philippine Sea and reports its movement after surfacing later that evening.

18-19 June 1944:
Ozawa splits the Mobile Fleet. Forces "A" and "B" proceed southward. The Vanguard Force "C" proceeds due east in the Philippine Sea headed towards Saipan. The Mobile Fleet's aircraft attack the U.S. Task Force 58 off Saipan, but suffer overwhelming aircraft losses in the "Great Mariana's Turkey Shoot".

20 June 1944:
At 1830, BatDiv 3 and carrier CHIYODA are attacked by Curtiss SB2C "Helldiver" dive-bombers and Grumman TBM "Avenger" torpedo-bombers from USS BUNKER HILL (CVL-17), MONTEREY (CVL-26) and CABOT (CVL-28). One 500-lb GP bounces off the water and penetrates the starbord side of the stern, exploding on the lower deck. The manual steering compartment is rapidly flooded thereafter. The port outboard shaft bracket is damaged and its turbine has to be shot down, reducing the speed to 26kts. 15 sailors in manual steering compartment are KIA, 19 wounded. Three near misses buckle the hull plating in the bow area.

21 June 1944:
At 1612, USN codebreakers intercept and decrypt a message from the Chief of Staff, 2nd Fleet that reads: "Haruna and Maya received the following damages in the battle of the 20th: 1. Haruna ----- (lists fairly extensive damages, from bomb hit(s), -----. Maya. Flooding in vicinity of ------ (120 tons of water have entered). Port ----- out of commission --."

23 June 1944:
At 0848, codebreakers intercept and decrypt a message from the Chief of Staff, 1st Mobile Fleet that reads: "Haruna, Shigure and Samidare will carry out repairs of damage at Sasebo; Maya will do the same at Yokosuka and others at Sasebo --."

22 June 1944:
Okinawa. HARUNA refuels destroyers then departs for Japan.

24 June 1944:
Arrives at Sasebo. Drydocked for battle damage repairs and refit. Type 13 radar and additional 25-mm. AA guns are installed.

15 August 1944:
Departs Sasebo for Singapore with DesDiv 4's YAMAGUMO, MICHISHIO and NOWAKI.

18 August 1944:
At 0029, LtCdr Robert E. M. Ward's USS SAILFISH (SS-192) makes radar contact with HARUNA group in the South China Sea. At 0135, at 18-40N, 116-10E, Ward fires four torpedoes at HARUNA from 3,600 yards. All miss.

21 August 1944:
HARUNA arrives at Lingga. She rejoins KONGO in Vice Admiral Suzuki Yoshio's (former CO of KONGO)
BatDiv 3. She remains at Lingga for almost two months.

15 October 1944:
Captain Shigenaga is promoted to Rear Admiral.

18-20 October 1944:
BatDiv 3 departs Lingga with fleet for Brunei Bay, Borneo.

22 October 1944: Operation "SHO-I-GO"(Victory) - The Battle of Leyte Gulf:
BatDiv 3 sorties from Brunei with Vice Admiral Kurita's First Diversion Attack Force (Center Force) in Force "A"'s Second Section: CruDiv 7's KUMANO, SUZUYA, TONE and CHIKUMA, DesRon 10's light cruiser YAHAGI and five destroyers. The Second Section sorties behind Force A's First Section: BatDiv 1's YAMATO, MUSASHI and NAGATO, CruDiv 4's ATAGO, TAKAO, MAYA and CHOKAI, CruDiv 5's MYOKO and HAGURO, DesRon 2's light cruiser NOSHIRO and 10 destroyers.

23 October 1944: The Battle of the Palawan Passage:
Two American submarines attack Force A. USS DARTER (SS-227) sinks Kurita's flagship ATAGO. Destroyer KISHINAMI picks him up. Ten hours later, he transfers to YAMATO to resume command of the First Diversion Attack Force. DARTER also damages TAKAO. USS DACE (SS-247) sinks MAYA. HARUNA is not damaged.

24 October 1944: The Battle of the Sibuyan Sea:
Force A endures raids by over 250 U.S. carrier aircraft. MUSASHI, hit by numerous aircraft torpedoes and bombs, sinks in the Visayan Sea. YAMATO, hit by bombs, is down by the bow. Force A continues on course through the Sibuyan Sea. HARUNA is damaged by near misses. At 1530 hours, Force A reverses course back through the Sibuyan Sea. At 1715 hours, Kurita again reverses course. At 2330 hours, Force enters the San Bernadino Strait in single file.

25 October 1944: The Battle off Samar:
At 0030, Force A exits the San Bernardino Strait and proceeds towards Leyte Gulf. At 0544, Force A's lookouts spot four enemy destroyers, and shortly thereafter three carriers, three cruisers and two more destroyers at a range of 23 miles bearing 60 degrees to port.

BatDiv 3 is ordered eastwards to prevent the enemy from drawing away. HARUNA, her propellers not repaired after being damaged during the Battle of the Philippine Sea, can make only 26 knots and soon lags behind.

At 0558, Force A opens fire at the "jeep" escort carriers of "Taffy 3": USS ST. LO (CVE-63), WHITE PLAINS (CVE-66), KALININ BAY (CVE-68), FANSHAW BAY (CVE-70) (F), KITKUN BAY (CVE-71) and GAMBIER BAY (CVE-73). "Taffy 3"'s carriers are screened by destroyers USS HOEL (DD-533), JOHNSTON (DD-557), HEERMANN (DD-532) and destroyer escorts USS SAMUEL B. ROBERTS (DE-413), DENNIS (DE-405), RAYMOND (DE-341) and JOHN C. BUTLER (DE-339).

At 0604, WHITE PLAINS and flagship FANSHAW BAY are straddled by 14-inch salvos from either HARUNA or KONGO. At 0654, destroyer HEERMANN fires three torpedoes at HARUNA. These torpedoes miss HARUNA but cause YAMATO and NAGATO to turn northward and steam for 10 miles until the torpedoes run out of fuel.

Between 0755 and 0910, Force A sinks GAMBIER BAY, HOEL, ROBERTS and JOHNSTON. Kurita orders all ships to head north, but at 1020 he reverses course southward and again heads towards Leyte Gulf. Between 1030 and 1320, CHOKAI, CHIKUMA and SUZUYA are disabled by battle damage and subsequently lost. Force "A" reverses course northward and at 2100 retires through the San Bernardino Strait.

26 October 1944:
Aircraft attack Force A in the Tablas Strait off Panay Island, but HARUNA is not hit.

27 October 1944:
No attacks. HARUNA and NAGATO refuel the destroyers ISOKAZE and YUKIKAZE at Dangerous Ground off Palawan.

28 October 1944:
The remnants of Force A arrive at Brunei. Refuel.

6 November 1944:
Carrier JUNYO and light cruiser KISO, escorted by DesDiv 30's YUZUKI and UZUKI, arrive at Brunei from Sasebo with ammunition resupply for Kurita's force.

8 November 1944:
At 0300, departs Brunei towards Pratas Islands (near the Formosa Strait) with BatDiv 1's YAMATO and NAGATO, BatDiv 3, light cruiser YAHAGI, DesDiv 17's four destroyers. JUNYO, cruisers TONE and ASHIGARA, KISO and DesDiv 30 follow. JUNYO, TONE, KISO and DesDiv 30 are detached to Manila. The remainder of the group makes a feint through the Balabac Strait, then returns to Brunei.

11 November 1944:
At 1000, arrives at Brunei
Bay. Refuels from oiler HAKKO MARU.

15 November 1944:
NAGATO is reassigned to BatDiv 3 in Second Fleet with HARUNA and KONGO.

16 November 1944:
At Brunei. Attacked by 40 USAAF Consolidated B-24 "Liberator" bombers and 15 Lockheed "Lightning" P-38 fighters. BatDiv 3 is not damaged. At 1830, KONGO departs for Kure with BatDiv 1's YAMATO, BatDiv 3, light cruiser YAHAGI and four destroyers. HARUNA remains at Brunei and joins ASHIGARA and HAGURO and light cruiser OYODO.

17 November 1944:
At Brunei. At 0400, HARUNA and the cruisers depart Brunei.

18 November 1944:
HARUNA group arrives at the Spratly Islands. CarDiv 4's ISE and HYUGA and DesDiv 61's SHIMOTSUKI are already there unloading troops and supplies after being diverted from Manila because of carrier air attacks on that port.

Vice Admiral Shima Kiyohide (former CO of OI), CINC, Fifth Fleet arrives from Manila aboard DesDiv 21's HATSUSHIMO accompanied by DesDiv 2's ASASHIMO and DesDiv 7's KASUMI and USHIO. Shima transfers his flag to ASHIGARA.

20 November 1944:
HARUNA departs the Spratlys for Lingga with CarDiv 4, ASHIGARA, HAGURO, OYODO and destroyers.

22 November 1944:
At 1500, arrives at Lingga Roads, but HARUNA runs aground on a reef while maneuvering to anchor. She damages her bilge amidships forward. The damage is serious and requires her return to Sasebo for repairs.

28 November 1944.
Departs Lingga.

29 November 1944:
Arrives at Singapore in the early morning. Departs 1930 that day for Mako, Pescadores with destroyers HATSUSHIMO and KASUMI.

1 December 1944:
At 2213, the HARUNA group, making 18 knots, is picked up on radar by LtCdr Herman J. Kossler's USS CAVALLA (SS-244) at 11-16N, 111-38E. As he closes the track, Kossler sights an escort.

2 December 1944:
At 0111, Kossler identifies one of the contacts as "a battleship, possibly YAMATO". He makes an "end around" approach to attack. Kossler takes CAVALLA to periscope depth, but is forced to dive to avoid being rammed by an escort. While diving, Kossler "snap-shoots" six torpedoes at HARUNA, but they all miss.

4 December 1944:
South of Formosa. At 2246, HARUNA is bombed by a B-29, but not damaged.

5 December 1944:
At 1020, the HARUNA group arrives at Mako. Destroyers KASUMI and HATSUSHIMO are detached and later escort a convoy to Camranh.

6 December:
Departs Mako for Sasebo with carrier JUNYO, DesDiv 41's SUZUTSUKI, FUYUTSUKI and DesDiv 31's destroyer escort MAKI.

8 December 1944:
At about 2000, alerted by Ultra, LtCdr L. D. McGregor's USS REDFISH (SS-395) makes radar contact on the zigzagging task group at 31,000 yards making 19 knots. McGregor attempts an "end-around" but loses contact. He signals six nearby American submarines of his contact. At 2030, McGregor regains contact and continues tracking the task group. At 2130, LtCdr R. E. Styles' USS SEA DEVIL (SS-400) makes radar contact on the task group at 16,000 yards.

9 December 1944:
About midnight, LtCdr C. B. Stevens' USS PLAICE (SS-390) picks up the task group at 24,000 yards.

At about 0100, LtCdr Styles' SEA DEVIL makes a radar-depth approach on the task group SW of Homazaki at 31-43N, 129-04E. At 4,300 yards, Styles fires four Mark-23 steam torpedoes at the largest target. One or two of the torpedoes hit JUNYO. She takes on water and slows.

LtCdr Stevens' PLAICE is near Meshima in the East China Sea. Stevens sees a destroyer and fires three torpedoes at it, but all miss. Then about 0200, he sees JUNYO coming out of the mist. Stevens doesn't have a firing "solution" on the distant carrier, but he fires three torpedoes at the closer destroyer escort MAKI in a night surface radar attack at 31-57N, 129-01E. One torpedo hits.

At about 0300, LtCdr McGregor in REDFISH is able to just see HARUNA, JUNYO and three destroyers. He makes a night surface radar attack on JUNYO at 32-13N, 129-13E. He fires six torpedoes from 2,900 yards. One, perhaps, hits the carrier. McGregor reloads and fires six more torpedoes at JUNYO.

HARUNA is undamaged during all the submarine attacks, but JUNYO is hit on the starboard side forward and aft and the starboard engine room floods. Although she takes on a 12-degree starboard list, she makes 12 knots on her port engine and escapes further attack. MAKI, hit in the port bow, also escapes and makes port at Nagasaki.

10 December 1944:
The remainder of the task group arrives at Sasebo.

11 December 1944:
HARUNA and DesDiv 41's FUYUTSUKI and SUZUTSUKI depart Sasebo for Kure.

12 December 1944:
The HARUNA group arrives at Kure.

20 December 1944:
At Kure. Captain Yoshimura Matake (former ComDesDiv 27 and CO of CL YAHAGI) assumes command from Rear Admiral Shigenaga.

23 December 1944:
The former Vice Chief of the Naval General Staff, Vice Admiral (Admiral, posthumously) Ito Seiichi (former CO of HARUNA) assumes command of the Second Fleet. Vice Admiral Kurita is reassigned as the President of the Etajima Naval Academy.

1 January 1945:
At Kure. BatDiv 3 is deactivated. HARUNA is reassigned to the reactivated BatDiv 1, Second Fleet. During 1945, HARUNA's battle damage is mostly repaired and she is camouflaged gray with very pale gray stripes on her turrets.

10 February 1945:
BatDiv 1 is deactivated once again. HARUNA is assigned to the Kure Naval District.

19 March 1945:
Kure Arsenal. Vice Admiral (later Admiral) Marc A. Mitscher's (former CO of HORNET, CV-8) Task Force 58 carriers USS ESSEX (CV-9), INTREPID (CV-11), HORNET (CV-12), WASP (CV-18), HANCOCK (CV-19), BENNINGTON (CV-20) and BELLEAU WOOD (CVL-24) make the first carrier attack on the Kure Naval Arsenal. More than 240 aircraft attack battleships HARUNA, YAMATO, ISE, HYUGA, carriers RYUHO, KAIYO, AMAGI, KATSURAGI and other ships.

The fleet is defended vigorously, but unsuccessfully, by 54 Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden-Kai ("George") fighters of Captain (later General and CINC, JSDF)Genda Minoru's (of AKAGI at Pearl Harbor) 343rd NAG based at Matsuyama airfield. The 343rd pilots claim 52 aircraft shot down against 16 losses.

HARUNA, standing at the roadstead in Etajima Bight is attacked by 15 aircraft, but hit only once on the starboard side aft of the bridge which causes light damage.

2 April 1945:
A floating mine explodes alongside HARUNA, killing two sailors.

22 June 1945:
The XXth (Twentieth) Air Force at Tinian launches 162 Boeing B-29 "Superfortress" in mission No. 215 against the Kure Naval Arsenal. The HARUNA is bracketed by near-miss bombs. One bomb hits the quarterdeck and causes light damage.

24 July 1945: The Final Destruction of the Imperial Japanese Navy:
Aircraft from Vice Admiral (later Admiral) John S. "Slew" McCain's (former CO of RANGER, CV-4)Task Force 38 attack Kure. HARUNA is hit by one bomb portside aft which causes light damage. In their last major action, 343rd NAG "George" fighters attack the retiring American carrier planes over the Bungo Suido and claim 19 aircraft shot down against four losses.

23 June 1945:
HARUNA is towed to the roadstead in Etajima Bight.

28 July 1945:
At Kure. From 0800 to 1700, HARUNA is attacked again by USS WASP's (CV-18) Air Group 86, SHANGRI-LA (CV-38) and other aircraft from Task Force 38. She receives many hits and near misses.

At 1248, HARUNA is attacked, but not hit by over 70 USAAF B-24's of the 7th AF's 11th and 494th Bomb Groups and other groups based at Yontan Air Base, Okinawa. A few moments after dropping its bombs, B-24J "Lonesome Lady" is hit by anti-aircraft shell. All but one of the crew bail out successfully. B-24J “Taloa” is also hit by AA and lost. [3][4]

At 1615, HARUNA comes under a final heavy attack, and is holed portside. This causes a list that brings the gash inflicted on 24 July under water. HARUNA takes on tons of water and sinks in shallow water next to a pier at 34-15N, 132-29E. In the two days of attacks, HARUNA receives 13 bomb hits and 10 near misses. 65 officers and men are lost.

20 November 1945:
Removed from Navy List.

The wreck of HARUNA is raised and broken up.

Authors' Notes:
[1] Some sources claim that in the summer of 1917, while on a training exercise in the South Pacific, HARUNA hit a mine and was damaged severely. She flooded, but managed to make port. The sources claim the mine was laid by Fregattenkapitän (later Kapitän zur See) Karl A. Nerger's Imperial German Navy commerce raider/minelayer WOLF. Other sources say the mine was laid by raider BERLIN. No photographic evidence of the damage, or any record of repairs is known to exist, which casts doubt on the veracity of this event. In fact, Mr. Nakagawa Tsutomu, a well known Japanese naval historian, states that HARUNA never hit a mine at any time during her career.

[2] Different Japanese sources provide different dates for the start of the first reconstruction. While the "Illustrated Ships Data of IJN 1868-1945. Battleships and Battle Cruisers" by Ishibashi Takao (Namiki Shobo, 2007) suggests 28 November 1923, we have preferred a different date provided in Gakken Pictorial, Vol. 65 (2008).

[3] In May 2007, Australian photo-journalist and wreck diver Kevin Denlay and a group of divers aboard MV EMPRESS out of Singapore explored the wrecks of PRINCE OF WALES and REPULSE. Both wrecks are virtually upside down. PRINCE OF WALES lies at 223 feet/68 meters deep, while REPULSE lies at 77 feet/54 meters. Attacking Japanese airmen reported hitting PRINCE OF WALES with seven of 14 torpedoes they launched. British sources reported six torpedo hits.

The divers reported PRINCE OF WALES' hull had been hit by at only four torpedoes. Japanese airmen also reported hitting REPULSE with 13 of 35 torpedoes, while British sources reported five torpedo hits. The divers reported REPULSE's hull had been hit by at least two torpedoes. However, in the case of REPULSE the possibility of additional torpedo hits exists, but could not be confirmed by the divers because of the build up of sand against the hull in the area of the other suspected hits.

[4] The crew of B-24J "Lonesome Lady" were taken prisoner and interned at the Chugoku Kempeitai (Military Police) Headquarters at Hiroshima. The tail gunner was taken to Kure where he was interned. The pilot was taken to Tokyo. On 6 August 1945, the remaining crew of "Lonesome Lady" died during the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. The pilot was interrogated and questioned intensely after the atomic bombing and placed in solitary confinement. When the war ended, he was liberated at Omori POW Camp. The tail gunner was liberated from Shinjuku POW Camp, Tokyo. For more info on "Lonesome Lady" see

[5] It is possibilie that B-24 "Taloa" was hit by a 14-inch Type 3 shell fired from the No. 2 turret of HARUNA. Its crew reported that one B-24 was hit and crashed in flames after being hit by a "sanshiki-dan" AA shell.

Thanks go to Mr. Yutaka Iwasaki and Mr. Nakagawa Tsutomu of Japan, Anthony Tully, Neal Stevens and Matthew Jones of the United States. Thanks also go to the late John Whitman of the USA for info on CNO intercepts of Japanese messages.

Thanks also go to Mucho, Edward and the guys at for providing info for Rev 11. Thanks to Gilbert Casse for info for Rev 15.

Thanks go to Rob Stuart of Canada for information about Operation "C" in Revs 13, 19, 20 and 21. For more info see Rob's splendid "20 Ships, Not 23: Ozawa’s Score, 5-6 April 1942." NB: Older map on this TROM page erroneously shows 23 ships sunk.

-Bob Hackett, Sander Kingsepp and Lars Ahlberg

Back to Battleship Page