IJN KASHII: Tabular Record of Movement

© 1997-2016 Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp
Revision 5

30 May 1940:
Yokohama. Laid down at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries shipyard.

14 February 1941:
Launched and named KASHII.

1 April 1941:
Captain (Vice Admiral, posthumously) Iwabuchi Sanji (43)(former CO of KAMOI) is posted as the Chief Equipping Officer.

15 July 1941:
Completed and registered in the Sasebo Naval District. Captain Iwabuchi is the Commanding Officer.

31 July 1941:
Reassigned to the Southern Expeditionary Fleet.

15 October 1941:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Kojima Hideo (former CO of ATAMI) is posted as Commanding Officer. Captain Iwabuchi is reassigned as CEO of AKITSUSHIMA under construction by Kawasaki at Kobe. Iwabuchi is later given command of KIRISHIMA.

18 October 1941:
Saigon, Indochina (Vietnam). KASHII is flagship of Vice Admiral Ozawa Jisaburo's (former CO of HARUNA) Southern Expeditionary Fleet.

18 November 1941:
Samah, Hainan Island, Occupied China. Vice Admiral Ozawa transfers his flag to CHOKAI.

2 December 1941:
The KASHII receives the signal "Niitakayama nobore (Climb Mt. Niitaka) 1208" from the Combined Fleet. This signifies that X-Day hostilities will commence on 8 December (Japan time).[1]

5 December 1941:
Departs Cap St. Jacques, Indochina escorting seven troop transports carrying the IJA's 143rd Infantry Regiment.

8 December 1941: Operation "E" - The Invasion of Malaya:
Beginning at 1000, troops are landed at four points on the Kra Isthmus, Siam (Thailand).

9 December 1941:
The KASHII is reassigned to the No. 1 Escort Unit of the Escort Force.

13 December 1941:
Departs Camranh Bay, Indochina with light cruiser SENDAI to cover the Second Malaya Convoy's 39 transports.

16 December 1941:
Covers landings at Singora, Patni, Ban Don and Nakhorn. Escorts five transports to Kota Bharu, then patrols off Singora.

21 December 1941:
Arrives at Camranh.

26 December 1941:
KASHII is reassigned to the No. 2 Escort Unit with light cruiser NATORI and destroyers. Departs Camranh Bay, Indochina.

28 December 1941:
Departs Mako with No. 2 Escort Unit escorting the Third Malaya Convoy to Malaya and Bangkok, Siam.

3 January 1942:
Off Hainan Island. A gasoline fire starts on troop transport MEIKO MARU. Later, the transport explodes and sinks. KASHII rescues all MEIKO MARU's troops and crewmen.

10 January 1942:
Arrives at Bangkok, Siam.

11 January 1942:
Japan declares war on the Netherlands.[2]

1 February 1942:
Departs Bangkok.

2 February 1942:
Arrives at Saigon, Indochina.

4 February 1942:
Departs Saigon carrying Army troops.

6 February 1942:
Arrives at W. Borneo. Disembarks troops and departs.

9 February 1942:
Arrives at Camranh.

11 February 1942:
Departs Camranh escorting 11 transports of the Bangka-Palembang, Sumatra invasion force.

16 February 1942:
The transports land the troops near Palembang, Sumatra.

? February 1942:
Arrives at the Anambas Islands.

1 March 1942:
Departs Anambas escorting a convoy.

2 March 1942:
Arrives at Singapore, Malaya. Assigned to the No. 1 Escort Unit.

8 March 1942: “T” Sakusen (Operation "T") - The Invasion of Northern Sumatra:
At 1600 (JST), the No. 1 Escort Force’s light cruisers KASHII and YURA, kaibokan SHIMUSHU and MineDiv 41's REISUI and TAKAO MARUs depart Singapore with DesRon 3 light cruiser SENDAI (F), DesDiv 19’s ISONAMI, URANAMI and AYANAMI, DesDiv 20’s AMAGIRI, ASAGIRI and YUGIRI, MineDiv 1’s W-1, W-3, W-4 and W-5 and SubChas Div 11’s CH-8 and CH-9 escorting the northern Sumatra invasion convoy consisting of IJA transports ANYO, ALASKA, RAKUYO and KINUGAWA MARUs transporting elements of the Imperial Guards Division and IJN transports TATSUMIYA and HEITO MARUs transporting the Kobayashi Detachment of that division.

Distant cover is provided by Vice Admiral Ozawa Jisaburo’s (37) heavy cruiser CHOKAI (flagship), CruDiv 7’s MOGAMI, MIKUMA, KUMANO and SUZUYA, DesDiv 11’s FUBUKI, HATSUYUKI and SHIRAYUKI and DesDiv 12’s MURAKUMO and SHIRAKUMO. Light aircraft carrier RYUJO, seaplane tender SAGARA MARU and aircraft from the 40th Naval Air Group at Seletar airfield and the Bihoro Naval Air Group at Butterworth airfield, Penang provide air cover.

11 March 1942:
At 2030 (JST), the six transports of the Northern Sumatra invasion convoy are divided into the Sabang/Idi Group: TATSUMIYA, KINUGAWA and HEITO MARUs and the Koetaradja Group: ANYO, ATLAS and RAKUYO MARUs.

12 March 1942:
At 0005 (JST), the two groups enter their assigned landing places. Unopposed landings begin at 0100 (JST).

15 March 1942:
Arrives at Penang with the No. 1 Escort Unit.

16 March 1942:
Arrives at Singapore.

19 March 1942: ("U" Sakusen) - "U" transport operation to Burma:

The Initial Invasion Convoy is escorted by the No. 2 Escort Unit comprised of light cruiser KASHII (F), DesRon 3’s SHIKINAMI and DesRon 5’s ASAKAZE, HARUKAZE, HATAKAZE and MATSUKAZE, kaibokan SHIMUSHU, minelayer HATSUTAKA, MineSweepDiv 1's W-1, W-3 and W-4, SubChasDiv 11's subchasers CH-7 and CH-8, SpecSubChasDiv 91's auxiliary subchasers CHOKO MARU and SHONAN MARU No. 5 and No. 7 and the 9th Base Force's gunboat EIKO MARU. The convoy is also escorted by the 12th Special Base Force’s torpedo boat KARI and auxiliary gunboat KOSHO MARU.

20 March 1942:
Penang, Malaya. The 12th Special Base Force's transport IJN NOJIMA MARU joins the convoy.

23 March 1942:
At 1800, the convoy arrives at Rangoon, Burma (now Yangon, Myanamar).

25 March 1942:
The transports begin landing troops at Rangoon, Burma.

28 March 1942:
KASHII and the transports arrive at Penang.

30 March 1942:
KASHII and the transports depart Penang.

1 April 1942:
Strait of Malacca. Off Pulau Perak, Malaya. Empty transports YAE MARU and SHUNSEI MARU are torpedoed and sunk by Royal Navy Lt Cdr Hugh A.V. Haggard's submarine HMS TRUANT. TRUANT escapes a counterattack by the escort.[3]

KASHII and the other transports arrive at Singapore later that day.

2 April 1942:
KASHII and SHIKINAMI and HATAKAZE depart Singapore escorting 46 transports carrying the IJA's 18th Infantry Division.

4 April 1942:
The convoy arrives at Penang. Escort duties are taken over by minelayer HATSUTAKA and three destroyers of DesRon 5. KASHII is detached from the convoy and returns to Singapore the same day.

11 April 1942:
Singapore. KASHII is assigned as the flagship of Vice Admiral Ozawa's First Southern Expeditionary Fleet, Malay Force. Assigned guardship duties.

3 June 1942:
Drydocked at Keppel Harbor, Singapore.

14 June 1942:

25 June 1942:
Captain (later Rear Admiral) Shigenaga Kazue (former XO of MIKUMA) assumes command. Captain Kojima is reassigned as Naval Attaché to Germany.

3 July 1942:
Departs Singapore.

4 July 1942:
Arrives at Penang.

12 July 1942:
Departs Penang.

14 July 1942:
Arrives at Singapore. Vice Admiral Okawachi Denshichi (former CO of HIEI) assumes command of the First Southern Expeditionary Fleet, Malay Force. Vice Admiral Ozawa is reassigned to the Naval General Staff.

28 July 1942:
Departs Singapore.

31 July 1942:
Arrives at Mergui, Burma.

9 August 1942:
Departs Mergui.

10 August 1942:
Arrives at Rangoon.

12 August 1942:
Departs Rangoon.

13 August 1942:
Arrives at Port Blair, Andaman Islands.

14 August 1942:
Departs Port Blair.

15 August 1942:
Arrives at Sabang.

16 August 1942:
Departs Sabang.

17 August 1942:
Arrives at Penang, Malaya.

19 August 1942:
Departs Penang.

20 August 1942:
Arrives at Singapore. Guardship duties thereafter.

21 September 1942:
Departs Saigon on an emergency transport mission to reinforce the Solomons. KASHII sports a fake second funnel, perhaps an attempt to appear to be an American heavy cruiser.

22 September 1942:
Arrives at Camranh.

23 September 1942:
Departs Camranh.

24 September 1942:
Arrives at Hong Kong. Embarks Army troops.

26 September 1942:
Departs Hong Kong.

1 October 1942:
Steams through the Sibuyan Sea and the San Bernardino Strait.

8 October 1942:
Arrives at Rabaul, New Britain. Disembarks troops and departs.

13 October 1942:
Arrives at Davao, Philippines.

14 October 1942:
Departs Davao, Philippines.

19 October 1942:
Arrives at Singapore. Begins refit.

9 November 1942:
Departs Singapore.

11 November 1942:
Arrives at Palembang, Sumatra. Refuels.

13 November 1942:
Departs Palembang.

14 November 1942:
Arrives at Singapore.

3 December 1942:
Departs Singapore.

4 December 1942:
Arrives at Belawan, Sumatra.

7 December 1942:
Departs Belawan.

9 December 1942:
Arrives at Port Blair, Andaman Islands.

10 December 1942:
Departs Port Blair.

11 December 1942:
Arrives at Sabang.

13 December 1942:
Departs Sabang.

14 December 1942:
Indian Ocean. Arrives at Sibolga, W. Sumatra.

15 December 1942:
A 58-man strong Rikusentai Special Naval Landing Force is formed of the sailors of KASHII to support Army units on Mentawai islands, off W Sumatra.

18 December 1942:
Departs Sibolga.

19 December 1942:
Indian Ocean. Arrives at Sabang, W. Sumatra.

23 December 1942:
Departs Sabang. Arrives at Batavia, Java that day.

27 December 1942:
Departs Batavia.

16 January 1943:
Arrives at Singapore. Drydocked. Both of her masts are truncated and a "submarine spotting station” is added to the foretop.

20 January 1943:
Captain (Vice Admiral, posthumously) Takada Satoshi (former XO of TAKAO) assumes command. Captain Shigenaga is reassigned as CO of CHIKUMA and later as CO of HARUNA.

21 January 1943:

7 February 1943:
Departs Singapore.

8 February 1943:
Arrives at Penang.

12 February 1943:
Departs Penang.

13 February 1943:
Strait of Malacca. Arrives at Port Sweetenham, Malaya.

18 February 1943:
Departs Port Sweetenham.

19 February 1943:
Arrives at Malacca, Malaya.

25 February 1943:
Departs Malacca. Arrives at Singapore. Guardship duties thereafter.

9 March 1943:
Vice Admiral (Admiral, posthumously) Endo Yoshikazu (former CO of KINU) assumes command of the First Southern Expeditionary Fleet, Malay Force. Vice Admiral Okawachi is later reassigned as CINC, Maizuru Naval District.

26 April 1943:
Departs Singapore. Arrives at Malacca.

28 April 1943:
Departs Malacca. Arrives at Singapore.

20 May 1943:
Departs Singapore with Vice Admiral Endo embarked for an inspection tour.

23 May 1943:
Indian Ocean. Arrives at Padang, W. Sumatra, NEI.

26 May 1943:
Departs Padang.

27 May 1943:
Indian Ocean. Arrives at Sibolga, NW Sumatra, NEI.

28 May 1943:
Departs Sibolga.

29 May 1943:
Indian Ocean. Arrives at Sabang, N. Sumatra, NEI.

30 May 1943:
Departs Sabang.

31 May 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Car Nicobar. Departs that day.

1 June 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Port Blair.

2 June 1943:
Departs Port Blair.

6 June 1943:
Arrives at Singapore. Begins refit. Guardship duties thereafter.

24 July 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run carrying troops and supplies.

28 July 1943:
Arrives at Port Blair. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

31 July 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

17 August 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run carrying troops and supplies.

18 August 1943:
Strait of Malacca. Arrives at Belawan, NE Sumatra, NEI.

20 August 1943:
Departs Belawan.

22 August 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Car Nicobar. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

25 August 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

27 August 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run carrying troops and supplies.

29 August 1943:
Off Pulo Weh, N. Sumatra. Enroute to Sabang, KASHII is attacked by Lt A. R. Profit's British submarine HMS TRIDENT. Profit fires all eight of his bow torpedoes at KASHII, but misses.

31 August 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

1 September 1943:

11 September 1943:

21 September 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run carrying troops and supplies.

22 September 1943:
Strait of Malacca. Arrives at Belawan. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

25 September 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Port Blair. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

25 September 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

6 October 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run.

8 October 1943:
Arrives at Penang.

10 October 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Car Nicobar. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

12 October 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

18 October 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run.

21 October 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Port Blair. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

23 October 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

28 October 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run.

30 October 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Car Nicobar. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

1 November 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

24 November 1943:
Departs Singapore on a transport run.

27 November 1943:
Andaman Sea. Arrives at Car Nicobar. Disembarks troops and unloads supplies, then departs.

30 November 1943:
Arrives at Singapore.

26 December 1943:
Departs Singapore.

31 December 1943:
KASHII is reassigned to the Kure Training Division, Kure Naval Station.

1 January 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa.

3 January 1944:
Departs Takao.

6 January 1944:
Arrives at Sasebo. Begins refit. Drydocked.

1 February 1944:
Undocked. Refit completed. Departs Sasebo.

February 1944:
Arrives at Etajima. Assumes duty as training ship for the Naval Academy.

5 March 1944:
Captain (Rear Admiral, posthumously) Matsumura Midori (former CO of I-3) assumes command. Captain Takada (Vice Admiral, posthumously) is later reassigned as an instructor with the Otake Sailor Corps and then made CO of the Yasuura Sailor Corps.

25 March 1944:
KASHII is directly attached to Headquarters, General Escort Command. Begins modification as an anti-submarine ship at Kure.

30 March 1944:

KASHII's torpedo tubes are removed and replaced by two Type 89 127-mm. HA guns twin mounts. Four triple mount Type 96 25-mm AA guns are also installed bringing their total to 20 barrels (4x3, 4x2). A Type 21 air-search radar is fitted. KASHII's aft compartments are modified into concrete-protected magazines for up to 300 depth charges. Four DC throwers and two DC rails are installed on the quarterdeck. Hydrophones and sonar are also installed.

6 April 1944:

29 April 1944:
The modification is completed.

3 May 1944:
KASHII is assigned as flagship of Rear Admiral Matsuyama Mitsuharu's (former ComCruDiv 18) No. 1 Surface Escort Division.

29 May 1944:
KASHII departs Moji escorting convoy HI-65. Among the ships in the convoy are transports ARIMASAN and SHINSHU MARUs escorted by carrier SHINYO, kaibokan CHIBURI, AWAJI, CD-19, subchaser CH-60 and minelayer TSUBAME.

2 June 1944:
E of Formosa. The convoy is located by LtCdr (later Captain) Enrique D. Haskins' new USS GUITARRO (SS-363) enroute from Pearl to Fremantle. About 2300, Haskins makes a moonlight periscope approach and fires two torpedoes at the AWAJI while she an an other escort are conducting an antisubmarine sweep. AWAJI sinks near Yasho Island at 22-42N, 121-24E. GUITARRO is forced under to avoid depth charges, torpedo and aircraft attacks, but evades the counterattack and escapes to Australia.

4 June 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa.

12 June 1944:
Arrives at Singapore.

17 June 1944:
At 0400, fast convoy HI-66 departs Singapore consisting of transport/cargo liners SANUKI, HOKKAI and AWA MARUs and tanker OMUROSAN MARU escorted by KASHII, escort carrier KAIYO and kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-7 and CD-11. The convoy hugs the continental coast avoiding deep water as much as possible.

26 June 1944:
Arrives at Moji at 1300.

28 June 1944:
Arrives at Kure. Refit. Ten single mount Type 96 25-mm. AA guns are installed bringing KASHII's 25-mm suite to 30 barrels (4x3, 4x2, 10x1). A Type 22 surface-search radar is also fitted.

10 July 1944:
The refit is completed. Departs Kure.

13 July 1944:
Departs Moji escorting convoy HI-69 under Rear Admiral Sato Tsutomu (former ComSubRon 1) of the Eighth Escort Convoy. The convoy includes 14 merchants, escort carriers TAIYO and KAIYO loaded with aircraft for Luzon, kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO, CD-7 and CD-17. SHINYO provides air patrols.

21 July 1944:
Arrives at Manila. TAIYO and KAIYO unload their aircraft.

24 July 1944:
KASHII departs Manila with SHINYO escorting the convoy section that is bound for Singapore. TAIYO is detached for Formosa. KAIYO remains at Manila.

31 July 1944:
Arrives at Singapore.

5 August 1944:
Departs Singapore with convoy HI-70 for Moji, Japan. The convoy consists of eight marus screened by SHINYO, destroyer SHIMOTSUKI, kaibokan CHIBURI, SADO and CD-13 and CD-19.

15 August 1944:
Convoy HI-70 arrives at Moji.

25 August 1944:
At 0630, fast convoy HI-73 departs Moji consisting of Army Landing Ship KIBITSU, ex-armed merchant cruiser GOKOKU MARU, ex-seaplane tenders SANUKI and KAGU MARUs, tankers TOHO, OMUROSAN, OTOWASAN, TAIHO, FUJISAN, HAKKO, AMATO, TOA and KUROSHIO MARUs and fleet storeship IRAKO escorted by escort carrier UNYO, KASHII, kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-13, CD-19, CD-21 and CD-27. Later that day, the convoy is joined briefly by transports MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs and tanker MANEI MARU that all depart the following day.

26 August 1944:
At 0900, MIZUHO, ARABIA and KOKURYU MARUs are ordered away because of excessive smoke. MANEI MARU remains at Kyushu because of engine problems.

29 August 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa. Departs that same day and arrives at Tsoying (near Takao).

30 August 1944:
Off Saei. The convoy splits. KIBITSU, GOKOKU and KAGU MARUs (and probably IRAKO) head for Manila. The remaining ships head for Singapore.

1 September 1944:
Off Luzon Strait. Late in the afternoon, a Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" dive-bomber of the UNYO’s 931st NAG spots diving USS TUNNY (SS-282). The Kate drops two 60-kg depth charges that dish in TUNNY’s hull. Her patrol has to be terminated.

7 September 1944:
Arrives at Seletar, Singapore.

13 September 1944:
Departs Seletar as flagship of Rear Admiral Yoshitomi Setsuzo's (former CO of KAGA and ComSubRon 7) 5th Escort Group escorting convoy HI-74 to Moji. The convoy consists of oilers AZUSA, OTOWAYAMA, HARIMA , OMUROYAMA and HAKKO MARUs escorted by UNYO, kaibokan CHIBURI, CD-13, CD-19, CD-21 and CD-27.

16 September 1944:
At 2231, OMUROYAMA MARU is hit by a torpedo fired by Cdr (later Rear Admiral) Charles E. LOUGHLIN's (former CO of S-14) USS QUEENFISH (SS-393). KASHII fires a red flare signalling a submarine attack.

Cdr (later Rear Admiral/MOH) Eugene B. Fluckey USS BARB (SS-220) fires a salvo of six bow torpedoes at overlapping targets. At 2334, 10,022-ton oiler AZUSA MARU is hit starboard side by two of BARB's torpedoes. She blows up and sinks with all hands.

17 September 1944:
At 0040, UNYO is hit starboard side by two of Fluckey's torpedoes. At 0730 (JST), UNYO sinks by the stern. More than 900 crewmen and passengers are lost as are 48 aircraft, including a cargo of 36 Imperial Army planes UNYO was carrying back to Japan for overhaul and repairs. CHIBURI and CD-27 rescue 761 survivors.

23 September 1944:
Arrives at Moji.

25 September 1944:
Departs Moji. Arrives at Sasebo. Begins refit.

14 October 1944:
The refit is completed. Departs Sasebo. Arrives at Moji.

26 October 1944:
KASHII departs Moji with Rear Admiral Yoshitomi Setsuzo, CINC, 5th Escort Group, embarked escorting convoy HI-79. The convoy includes TEN'EI MARU and several tankers. The escort also includes kaibokan NOMI, UKURU, CD-17, minelayer NIIZAKI and minesweeper W-21.

9 November 1944:
Arrives at Singapore.

15 November 1944:
Rear Admiral Shibuya Shiro (former CO of NACHI) assumes command of the new 101st Escort Group.

17 November 1944:
At 1800, departs Singapore carrying Rear Admiral Yoshitomi’s flag again, this time escorting convoy HI-80 escorting convoy HI-80 consisting of TENEI, MATSUSHIMA, RYOEI, MUNAKATA, ARIMASAN, KUROSHIO, NICHINAN and KAIHO MARUs also escorted by kaibokan NOMI, UKURU, KASADO, MANJU, MIYAKE, CD-17, CD-23 and CD-51 and minelayer NIIZAKE.

20 November 1944:
At 0600, CD-23 joins the convoy from St Jacques. At 1240, CD-17 is detached for Saigon.

24 November 1944:
At 1300, NICHINAN MARU and MANJU and CD-51 having detached arrive at Van Phong. CD-51 later rejoins the main convoy.

27 November 1944:
At 0930, RYOEI and ARIMASASN MARUs escorted by NIIZAKI are detached for Takao.

4 December 1944:
Arrives at Sasebo.

10 December 1944:
Reassigned to the 1st Surface Escort Group.

19 December 1944:
Departs Moji with HI-85

23 December 1944:
Arrives at Takao, Formosa. KASHII and the 101st Escort Group are relieved of escorting the convoy of Army transports and reassigned to escort another convoy to Singapore.

25 December 1944:
Off Hainan Island, China. The new convoy is attacked by USAAF B-25 "Mitchell" medium bombers. One transport is hit and detaches for Yulin, China.

26 December 1944:
Arrives at Saigon.

28 December 1944:
Arrives at Singapore.

30 December 1944:
Departs Singapore with the 101st Escort Group's five kaibokan escorting 10-ship (4 tankers and 6 cargo ships) convoy HI-86.

4 January 1945:
Arrives at Saigon.

9 January 1945:
Departs Saigon with the convoy.

10 January 1945:
Arrives at Van Fong Bay, Indochina.

11 January 1945:
Departs Van Fong. Arrives at Qui Nhon Bay.

12 January 1945: Task Force 38's Operation "Gratitude"- Strikes on Indochina:
The KASHII and the convoy depart Qui Nhon.

From 1100 to 1700, in the South China Sea, Curtiss SB2C "Helldiver" dive-bombers and Grumann TBF "Avenger" torpedo-bombers from Rear Admiral (later Admiral) Frederick T. Sherman's (former CO of LEXINGTON, CV-2) Task Group 38.3's USS ESSEX (CV-9), TICONDEROGA (CV-14), LANGLEY (CVL-27) and SAN JACINTO (CVL-30) attack convoy HI-86. They sink most of the convoy's ships or cause them to be beached to avoid sinking. Only three escorts survive.

At 1408, KASHII is attacked by SB2Cs and TBFs. She is hit starboard amidships by a torpedo. Then an SB2C hits her with two bombs aft that set off her depth charge magazine. KASHII sinks stern first at 13-50N, 109-20E. 621 sailors go down with her. Only 19 are rescued.

Both Captain Matsumura and Rear Admiral Shibuya are killed in the action. Shibuya is promoted Vice Admiral, posthumously and Matsumura is promoted Rear Admiral, posthumously.

20 March 1945:
Removed from the Navy List.

Authors' Notes:
[1] Mt. Niitaka, located in Formosa (now Taiwan), is the highest point in the Japanese Empire at the time.

[2] Parts of the NEI had already been seized by Japan at that time. At midnight, 7/8 Dec '41 (0800 Batavia Time, 8 Dec) the Dutch Government-in-Exile in London decided to declare war on Japan. On 10 Dec '41, General Pabst, the emissary of the Government-in-Exile in Tokyo, handed the formal Declaration of War (in French) to the Japanese Foreign Minister.

[3] TRUANT survived the war after having sunk or damaged twenty Axis ships in the Mediterranean, Indian Ocean and Java Sea.

Special thanks for assistance in researching the IJN officers mentioned in this TROM go to Mr. Jean-François Masson of Canada. Thanks for assistance also goes to Aldert Gritter ("Adm. Gurita") of the Netherlands. Thanks also go to Erich Muethlthaler of Germany.

- Bob Hackett and Sander Kingsepp.

Back to Cruiser Page